Friday, October 16, 2009

Lenny Kravitz Rocks The Fillmore

On the evening of Wednesday, October 14th, I had the pleasure of attending Lenny's third show of five at the Fillmore at Irving Plaza in NYC. Since it was my first time at the venue I wasn't sure what to expect, but the layout was pretty intimate and crowd-friendly. Although it was mostly standing room, there was a lot of open space on the first floor as well as a second floor wrap-around balcony.

The opening act was a fellow and his band named K'Naan. This entertaining and talented singer/rapper is from Somalia and his songs were captivating. He had original lyrics, a decent voice, and got the crowd involved.

Although Lenny and his band were supposed to come on at 9:20, they kept the crowd waiting quite a bit longer. When they finally did come on, however, they put on an amazing show. They played all of my favorites, some of the highlights being "It Ain't Over Til It's Over", "I Belong To You", and "Fly Away". The best song of the entire night was "Are You Gonna Go My Way" which they ended on as the last song in a very generous encore performance. The crowd which varied in age from 20 to 60 was really feeling this song, and everyone was jumping up and down by the end.

Even though Lenny has been around for a good 20 years, his shows are still infused with so much sex, drugs, rock and roll that you could not ask for more. This Parisian dweller who avoids carbs at all costs still looks great for his age and really plays to the crowd. At one point I'm pretty sure he was even crowd surfing. This was easily one of the top three shows I've ever seen, and I can't wait to see what he has for us next. Rumor has it that he will return to Paris shortly to finish working on his funk-rock album "Negrophilia". All I want to know is when he is touring again...

1 comment:

  1. I love you Kate, you know I like ma' shows! I would've loved to see Lenny krappist. I like the way you write Katie, i'm sure he's entertaining to watch...I still think lenny's a boner...humpffff!

    ReplyDelete